NC State has a variety of energy and energy-related academic programs and courses for students, working professionals and community members. These programs range from research to technical and practical applications in the field.
Undergraduate Degree Programs
Majors in Energy-Related Fields
Minors in Energy Fields
BAET 343 – Agricultural Electrification
CE 250 – Introduction to Sustainable Infrastructure
CE 478 – Energy and Climate
CHE 311 – Transport Processes I
ECE 200 – Introduction to Circuits, Signals, and Systems
ECE 305 – Principles of Electromechanical Energy Conversion
ECE 331 – Principles of Electrical Engineering
ECE 404 – Introduction to Solid-State Devices
ECE 434 – Fundamentals of Power Electronics
ECE 452 – Renewable Electric Energy Systems
ECE 489 – Solid State Solar and Thermal Energy Harvesting
ES 300 – Energy and Environment
ET 120 – Introduction to Renewable Energy Technologies and Assessments
ET 220 – Solar Photovoltaics Assessment
ET 255 – Hydro, Wind, and Bioenergy Assessment
ET 262 – Renewable Energy Adoption: Barriers and Incentives
MAE 403 – Air Conditioning
MAE 406 – Energy Conservation in Industry
MAE 421 – Design of Solar Thermal Systems
MSE 489 – Solid State Solar and Thermal Energy Harvesting
NE 202 – Radiation Sources, Interaction, and Detection
NE 400 – Nuclear Reactor Energy Conversion
NE 419 – Introduction to Nuclear Energy
PSE – Bioenergy & Biomaterials Engineering
Graduate Degree Programs
Graduate Degrees in Energy-Related Fields
- Chemical Engineering – M.S., Master of, Ph. D.
- Electric Power Systems Engineering – M.S.
- Electrical Engineering – M.S., Ph. D.
- Engineering – Master of
- Environmental Engineering – M.S., Master of
- Environmental Assessment – Master of
- Industrial and Systems Engineering – M.S., Master of, Ph. D.
- Materials Science and Engineering – M.S., Master of, Ph. D.
- Mechanical Engineering – M.S., Ph. D.
- Nuclear Engineering – M.S., Master of, Ph. D.
- Operations Research – M.S., Master of, Ph. D.
Graduate Certificate Programs in Energy and Energy-Related Fields
ARC 521 — Daylighting and Passive Energy Systems for Architecture
ARC 522 — Building Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy
ARC 523 – Building Energy Modeling and Simulation
ARC 524 — Building Energy Optimization
PA 598 – Energy Policy
ECE 551 – Smart Electric Power Distribution Systems
ECE 552 — Renewable Electric Energy Systems
ECE 581 — Electric Power System Protection
ECE 585 – The Business of the Electric Utility Industry
ECE 736 – Power System Stability and Control
EA 521 – Fundamentals of Renewable Energy Site Assessment
EA 523 – Assessment of Renewable Energy Storage Systems
Continuing Education Programs
NC State Continuing and Lifelong Education
NC Clean Energy Technology Center
- Renewable Energy Technologies Diploma Series
- CREM: Certificate in Renewable Energy Management
- REPV: Fundamentals of Design and Installation of Photovoltaic Systems
- REPV(A): Advanced Design and Installation of Photovoltaic Systems
- Operations and Maintenance of Photovoltaic Systems
- Solar Storage
- Hands-on Solar PV Lab